On June 6th, I had a birthday to rival all of my previous birthdays. The social festivities were great and I had lots of fun, but what I want to share with you are all the books I bought and was gifted in June.
Considering that this would be my first birthday as a blogger, I knew I had to go big and buy as many books as I could afford and take the opportunity to ask for free ones as well. My boyfriend, the sweetheart that he is, took me to Barnes & Noble and set me loose in the store on the condition that I could only choose 5 books. Fortunately, we were practical and used plenty of coupons, so it wasn’t too expensive. Getting a gift of 5 books was the best start to my birthmonth book haul I could have imagined!
The rest I bought with my own money and some were free through a giveaway or sent as a review copy.
I don’t think I went overboard with the book-buying. I’ve bought more in the past, I think! Anyway, I’m very happy with my haul this month. It has been months since I did a post like this so I think it was time, given the occasion.
Let me know if you have read any of the books below.
Birthmonth Book Haul!
LaRose – by Louise Erdrich
- June’s book for My Lit Box. I want to read everything by Louise Erdrich, so this was a great pick for me.
Homegoing -by Yaa Gyasi
- I MUST read this book in July. Bought it for myself with my hard-earned money. The hardcover price was $27 – yikes – but I was able to buy it 50% off.
An Ember in the Ashes – by Sabaa Tahir
- A birthday present! I love high fantasy and have wanted to read this book for far too long, so I’m glad I finally own it.
Sorcerer to the Crown – by Zen Cho
- This was book of the month for the Diverse SFF Book Club. It was an absolute joy to read. Expect a review in the coming weeks.
Just look at how beautiful they all are!
Born on a Tuesday – by Elnathan John
- I bought this one for a simple reason – I want read as many Nigerian authors as possible!
Juliet Takes a Breath – by Gabby Rivera
- This book is perfection. I bought my own copy but also won another in a giveaway! Expect a review this week with a giveaway for my extra copy.
More Happy Than Not – by Adam Silvera
- I stalk Adam Silvera on Twitter. Please don’t tell him! I’m trying to read more Queer Latinx narratives this year, so More Happy Than Not must go on that list.
Purple Hibiscus – by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The only novel of hers I have not read. I finally got my own copy and am set on reading it sometime in 2016.
Fairytales For Lost Children – Diriye Osman
- Recommended by Darkowaa. This is the book I am “currently reading.” Thoughts coming soon.
Without You, There Is No Us – by Suki Kim
- I have never read a memoir about North Korea, though I simply must. It’s a fascinating and chilling topic we should all read about. There are several memoirs I wanted to read, but I found this one on sale so I picked it up first.
Santa Muerte – by Lucina Stone
- A review copy courtesy of the author! I’m not currently reading review requests, but I will make time for this book in August. I’ve read a few other bloggers’ thoughts on this book, so I’m excited to read it for myself.
A Darker Shade of Magic by – V.E. Schwab
- Just about everyone recommends this book. I couldn’t pass it up when I saw it on sale! Actually, all the eBooks I bought in June were on sale. :]
Shatter Me – by Tahereh Mafi
- A book that has piqued my interest. I’m not sure if I’ll enjoy it, but it sounds fascinating and at $2.99 I said yes.
Serpentine – by Cindy Pon
- Another book on sale. I’ve never read Cindy Pon but I will always be open to reading books inspired by Chinese mythology.
That was an impressive haul, wasn’t it!? I like to think I have great taste in books. 🙂
In terms of buying books, do you like to treat yourself during your birthmonth or do you treat it like any other month?
Thank you for reading. Enter your email below for frequent updates from RDB!